Monday, July 18, 2011

Dialogue in the Dark

Went for Dialogue in the Dark (DID) for WISP lesson today. It was my first time and I swear that place is as dark as when you close your eyes. Yep, that is how dark it was. I went there with Zach, Weiting, Changqi, Edwin and Yixuan! We were briefed and we went into the place shortly. We were issued walking sticks. This DID really let us experience the life of a visually impaired person, or should I say part of it. My group was led by this visually impaired lady named Serene. She was warm and approachable, constantly looking out for us and asking if we are okay. I know it is kinda gay but I'm touched by her actions. It was as though our roles have switched over. We are visually impaired and she can see. We experienced a walk in the park, crossing the road, smelling or different fruits and vegetables, feeling of letter and words, taking a boat ride, feeling the breeze and wind, eating in a cafe. ALL IN THE DARK. I was amazed that the person working at the cafe was visually impaired too. And he is able to differentiate the different notes and coins that was given to him.
Took a polaroid film with Serene and I gave her the cookie I bought from the cafe inside to express my gratitude. Many of us wrote on this booklet that will be read to Serene at the end of the day.

I really gonna cherish my eyes. SUMPA


Remember that you see the world not with your eyes, but with your heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home